How Does Preventive Dentistry Benefit You?
Preventive dental care is essential to keep your teeth healthy throughout your life. However, the benefits of preventive dentistry go far beyond merely keeping your teeth healthy. Excellent oral hygiene can impact your overall health.
If you have no information about what preventive dentistry is or the kind of benefits it can provide, you must learn about preventive dental care. Let us give you some information about preventive dentistry and how it can help you in your life.
Preventive Dentistry — What Is It?
Preventive dentistry is caring for your dental health and helps you maintain excellent oral hygiene. It combines regular dental checkups besides developing habits like brushing and flossing. Caring for your teeth must begin early in life and extend throughout its course.
Preventive dentistry in Weymouth, MA, usually includes regular six-monthly oral exams and teeth cleaning besides routine x-rays. Most dental insurance companies cover preventive care for at least a couple of visits every year. Therefore visiting the Weymouth dentist for preventive dental treatment should not cause any concerns in your mind.
What Is Your Role in Preventive Dentistry?
Preventive dental care begins with you because when you develop healthy dental hygiene habits early in life, you are partaking in an exercise that encourages the prevention of dental diseases. However, you need to follow the basics of good dental hygiene by using the following tips:
- Brushing your teeth at least twice daily, once in the morning and once before getting into bed at night. It would help if you chose a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste for the brushing. The dentist in Weymouth, MA, can recommend brands of toothbrushes and toothpaste you can use. They can also instruct you on proper brushing techniques.
- Brushing by itself will not eliminate all the plaque and food particles in between your teeth. You must floss at least once a day to ensure you remove leftover food particles and plaque from between your teeth before it hardens into tartar.
- You can use a mouthwash recommended by your dentist to rinse your mouth after flossing.
- You must avoid acidic foods that can erode tooth enamel.
- Cancer and dental problems are caused by products like tobacco and smoking. Therefore it helps to avoid these products if you are using them.
- Using a mouthguard when participating in certain activities like contact sports will safeguard your teeth.
- You can request a night guard from your dentist if you are frequently grinding or clenching your teeth at night.
Which Dentists Offer Preventive Dentistry?
The dentist in Weymouth offers preventive dentistry to patients of all ages. Most general dentists provide preventive dentistry care like regular dental exams and cleanings, x-rays, and other diagnostic tests. Dentists also perform fillings and offer any other dental care that you need.
Dentists aim to educate you about preventive dental care for yourself. Dentists can identify potential problems before they aggravate and help you to build healthier habits to prevent problems in your mouth. If necessary, they can also refer you to dental specialists for additional treatments.
Pediatric dentists also provide preventive dental care for children. Most children are recommended to begin preventive care soon as their first tooth appears. Pediatric dentists continue to see their patients from infancy until adolescence. They can provide specialized preventive dentistry services for children whenever required, even performing extractions, fillings, and oral surgery at times.
The Benefits of Preventive Dentistry
Preventive dentistry has many benefits for your oral and overall health. When you indulge in six monthly preventive dental exams, you accrue the following benefits:
- You lower your risk of developing tooth decay, gum disease, and severe dental problems.
- Preventive dentistry promotes good dental hygiene habits like brushing and flossing your teeth regularly.
- When dental problems are identified early, it helps to minimize treatment costs, thus saving you money.
- It enables your dentist to perform an entire exam of your mouth, jaw, neck, and others to identify any problems.
- Most importantly, preventive dentistry reduces dental problems associated with chronic medical conditions like diabetes, osteoporosis, eating disorders, and cancer, which all affect dental and overall health. People with chronic conditions will find regular preventive dental care an essential part of their full health.
Visiting your dentist for preventive services shouldn’t scare you because they are similar to regular dental exams and cleanings. Preventive dentistry helps you avoid severe dental issues that may affect you even when maintaining proper dental hygiene. Therefore you must be enthusiastic about practicing preventive dentistry for the benefits it provides you.